Our New River Gorge Cabin PicksDecember 22, 2020
Now that winter is here, it’s time to get cozy in the New River Gorge! There are so many exceptional places to stay in our area this winter, so we did the work to help you decide which cabin is right for you.
All the accommodations in the Gorge come with a wide range of amenities. From hot tubs and fireplaces that keep you warm on chilly nights to high-speed WiFi to keep you connected, find all the luxuries you may need here. Almost all of the cabins have contactless check-in options, too!
- Conveniently Located: Stay close to one of America’s coolest small towns, Fayetteville, which includes one-of-a-kind shopping and dining options. Check out family-owned Rifrafters or the punny Bed Bass & Beyond. In 2021, New River Cabins will be opening its renovated AirStream, but for now, stay in one of the cabins or tiny houses. Ramsey Mountain Lodge and Sugar Creek Chalet are both remodeled residences that are also close to downtown.
- Full of Adventure: If you want to add some adventure to your trip, look into staying at ACE Adventure Resort, Adventures on the Gorge or River Expeditions. These outdoor recreation companies offer plenty of extra activities to add to your cabin itinerary. The zipline and ropes courses are fun for the whole family!
- Pique Your Interests: Whether you are a history buff, avid rock climber or both — check out Dogwood Ridge Farms. Learn about the Civil War history that took place at the Dogwood Gap, and see for yourself why the ridge was chosen as a lookout. As for climbers, this location is six miles south of the Meadow River and six miles north of New River Gorge climbing walls. If you are hoping to stay closer to Summersville, visit Carnifex Ferry Cabins. Choose from a romantic, one-bedroom, 1840s McKinley Log Cabin or six-bedroom Gauley Getaway. While you’re there, walk to Carnifex Ferry State Park or head to the sandstone cliffs around Summersville Lake.
- Find the Photo Ops: Impress your Instagram followers with stunning photos of Babcock State Park. Babcock has 28 cabins, half of which are close to the iconic Glade Creek Grist Mill, one of the most photographed structures in the state! Capture a dramatic shot of the snow-covered grist mill and frozen waterfall. For more unique winter photo opportunities, stay in one of Country Road Cabins’ treehouses or yurts. Although Hawks Nest Lodge is closed this winter, check them out to find amazing photo opportunities and future trip inspiration. Tag your winter cabin photos on Instagram with the hashtag #GoGorge.
- Live in Luxury: If you are searching for a lavish log cabin you’ve come to the right place! We’ve got so many options, we can’t pick a favorite. Visit Millcreek Cabins, Hemlock Haven Luxury Cabins and New River Gorge Cabins for secluded mountain stays in the Gorge or check out Opossum Creek Retreat, The Confluence Resort and Wild Rock for luxurious vacation rentals that are big enough for the whole family. Or bring a large group to The Ponderosa Lodge, which is nestled in the hills of the Gorge.
- Peace and Quiet: Just like the name says, Cabin by the Creek offers a peaceful environment. Spend some time listening to the nearby creek in this cozy spot near Chimney Corner. Stay on the banks of the New River in the historic town of Thurmond at the Breeze Hill Cottage Rentals, keep off the beaten path at Star Song Cabins or enjoy the wonderful amenities in a “paradise in the woods” at Sweet Retreat.
- Stays for Snowbirds: Located just outside of the New River Gorge, Winterplace Ski Resort is the perfect place to spend a winter day skiing, snowboarding or snow tubing. If you want to be near all the fun, check out Charming on Chestnut, Green Acres Campground and Cabins and Sleepy Hollow Chalets in Oak Hill.
- AirBnB Accommodations: Looking for authentic charm in a home-away-from-home? Cozy up in a local AirBnB like the shabby chic Cedar Waxwing Cabin or centrally-located Chickadee Cabin. For a historic stay, check out Mamaw’s House in Minden. River Rock Retreat is the best spot for solo travelers to stay and meet new people!
Winter is a wonderful time to visit the New River Gorge! Many lodging partners are running discounted rates or specials so be sure to call and ask about seasonal deals. Start planning your winter cabin getaway now!