20 Ways To Celebrate West Virginia Day in the New River GorgeJune 12, 2022
Monday, June 20, marks the 159th anniversary of West Virginia’s statehood, and we’re ready to celebrate! We’ve put together a list of twenty different things to do to enjoy West Virginia Day, the New River Gorge way.
- Shop for gifts created by West Virginia artisans at Wild Mountain Soap Company, Gauley River Pottery, Wild Art & Wonderful Things, Studio B Art & Wine Gallery and other amazing local shops.
- Try to beat the clock and escape West Virginia-inspired rooms, including the Hatfield family cabin, a secret bunker and a Fayetteville toy factory at Escape-A-Torium.
- Explore our area ghost towns.
- Take a walk under the iconic New River Gorge Bridge.
- Enjoy a photo-op at Glade Creek Grist Mill in Babcock State Park (also, see if there’s any cornmeal or buckwheat flour available for purchase).
- Eat breakfast at a West Virginia favorite — Tudor’s Biscuit World, where biscuits are made from scratch and have a West Virginia theme. Or find exactly what you’re craving at one of our local restaurants.
- Spend a day on the New River, rafting the rapids and making memories. Start planning your perfect rafting trip now.
- Get a unique perspective of the New River Gorge Bridge as you scale the cliffs above the river on a climbing trip.
Book a biplane ride with Wild Blue Adventures and get a bird’s eye view of the Gorge.
- Stay the night at the Glen Ferris Inn and learn about the Inn’s history, which dates back to the Civil War. Wind down with dinner at their on-site restaurant and enjoy stunning views of Kanawha Falls.
- Take in nature and experience Almost Heaven scenery on popular hiking trails like Long Point and Endless Wall.
- Spend an afternoon bowling at Pinheads. After bowling, find more family activities to do in the Gorge.
- Support a West Virginia-based restaurant like Pies & Pints, known for their specialty pizzas.
- Rent a mountain bike and ride some of the best trails in Appalachia.
- Spend a tranquil day out on the water fishing in some of the most ideal spots in the New River Gorge. Get a local outfitter to help you plan your trip.
- Spend the day at Hawks Nest State Park. Take a ride on the New River Jetboats, hike their rail-trail, kayak on Hawks Nest Lake, or check out the view from the Hawks Nest Restaurant.
- Sleep under the stars at one of our perfect camping getaways in the Gorge; accommodations range from rustic tent spaces to full RV hookups. Or cozy up for the night in one of our charming cabins.
- Soar through the trees and face your fears on Ace Adventure Resort’s Zipline Canopy Tour, or challenge the whole family to complete the Timbertrek Adventure Park ropes course at Adventures on the Gorge.
- Plan a trip to visit! If you can’t make it to the Gorge for West Virginia Day,
request our travel guide to help you plan your future visit here.
- Capture a photo of your West Virginia Day adventure and tag us with #GoGorge on social media so we can see how you celebrated!
How do you plan to celebrate West Virginia Day in America’s newest national park?