20 West Virginia Day Backdrops For Your Next PostJune 14, 2023
Celebrate West Virginia Day on June 20th in true Instagram-worthy style! West Virginia is a very photogenic state, offering a variety of beautiful views, iconic spots, colorful places and incredible adventures just waiting to be captured and shared. And when it comes to finding the perfect backdrop for your West Virginia Day posts, the New River Gorge National Park and Preserve takes center stage.
With its panoramic landscapes, scenic natural beauty and unique state landmarks, the New River Gorge is an Instagrammer’s dream come true. Impress your followers as you explore our area on a photography adventure. So, to pay homage to West Virginia Day, here are our top 20 favorite spots to snap some photos!
- Iconic Overlook: Capture the awe-inspiring view of the New River Gorge Bridge, a famous West Virginia landmark, from the overlook at the New River Gorge National Park and Preserve Canyon Rim Visitor Center.
- Endless Trails: There is beauty waiting around every bend in the Gorge. Tackle a popular trail for an amazing snapshot of nature.
- Climbing Adventures: Discover the thrill of rock climbing in the New River Gorge as you scale the cliffs and document your daring adventures. If you are new to the sport, book a guided trip to learn the ropes from professionals!
- Cathedral Falls: Marvel at the enchanting Cathedral Falls, where the cascading water creates a serene and picturesque setting. Pull off of the scenic Midland Trail (Route 60) for a closer look.
- Whitewater Rafting: Prove that you did it! Post a photo of the adrenaline-pumping experience of whitewater rafting in the New River Gorge to show that you conquered the rapids.
- Fayette Station Road: Drive along Fayette Station Road, a winding one-way road that crosses under the New River Gorge Bridge. A river-level view of the bridge can be seen from the Fayette Station Bridge at the bottom of the Gorge, which creates a stunning backdrop.
- Hawks Nest State Park: Immerse yourself in nature’s beauty at Hawks Nest State Park, where scenic overlooks and hiking trails offer captivating photo opportunities.
- Jet Boat Ride: Cruise down the New River on an exciting jet boat ride with New River Jet Boats and get picture-perfect views from the bottom of the Gorge.
- Sunrise at Grandview: Start your day with a mesmerizing sunrise at Grandview, where the golden hues illuminate the New River Gorge in all its splendor.
- Bridge Walk: Take your followers on a unique journey by walking the catwalk under the New River Gorge Bridge, and snap some stunning views from a different perspective.
- Town Murals: Explore small towns within the New River Gorge to discover some vibrant and eye-catching murals that reflect each community’s unique spirit.
- Glade Creek Grist Mill: Visit the picturesque Glade Creek Grist Mill, one of the most photographed places in West Virginia, for a charming and idyllic scene. The mill runs the waters of Glade Creek over a short cliff, making this a must-visit for photographers.
- Historic Town of Thurmond: Step back in time and wander through the historic town of Thurmond, capturing the charm of its well-preserved buildings.
- Kayaking Adventure: With rivers, lakes and streams flowing through the New River Gorge, there are plenty of wonderful locations for your next photo. Paddle your way through our scenic waters, capturing the excitement of a kayaking adventure.
- Local Dining Delights: The New River Gorge is the place for foodies! From casual cafes to familiar favorites, there’s no shortage of Instagram-worthy dining spots to showcase the diverse flavors of the region.
- Sandstone Falls: Photograph the majestic Sandstone Falls, capturing the power and beauty of the largest waterfall on the New River.
- Wildlife Encounters: Keep your camera ready for unexpected wildlife encounters as you explore the New River Gorge, catching the beauty of the region’s diverse fauna.
- Sunset at Long Point: Witness the mesmerizing colors of a West Virginia sunset at Long Point, as you immerse yourself in the magical atmosphere of the New River Gorge.
- Step Back in Time: Journey to Nuttallburg and Kaymoor to view the remnants of West Virginia’s coal mining history, and learn more about the rich heritage of these historic sites.
- Small Town Charms: Wander through the charming small towns surrounding the New River Gorge, capturing their quaint architecture, friendly locals and vibrant community vibes.
So, grab your camera or your phone and let your Instagram feed tell the story of your unforgettable West Virginia Day adventures in the New River Gorge! For more trip ideas, request your own copy of our free 2023 travel guide.